24.7.2009:IRANIAN DEFENSE-AFFILIATED UNIVERSITY SEEKS TRAINING FROM UKRAINIAN INSTITUTE
E.O. 12958: DECL: 07/24/2034 TAGS: ETTC, PARM, PREL, MTCRE, MNUC, UP, IR SUBJECT: IRANIAN DEFENSE-AFFILIATED UNIVERSITY SEEKS TRAINING FROM UKRAINIAN INSTITUTE (S)
Classified By: ISN/MTR DIRECTOR PAM DURHAM FOR REASONS 1.4 (B), AND (D).
1. (U) This is an action request. Embassy Kyiv please see para 3.
2. (S) Background/Objectives: The United States has information indicating that as of early 2009, Irans Malek-Ashtar University of Technology (MUT) was working to obtain training from international scientists, including scientists from Ukraine. MUT is subordinate to Irans Ministry of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics (MODAFL), which provides instruction to representatives of Iranian defense- and missile-affiliated entities, some of which are sanctioned by UN Security Council Resolutions. We want to urge Ukrainian officials to investigate this information and take steps to ensure that Ukrainian individuals and institutions are not providing sensitive technology and/or other support to MUT or other Iranian entities affiliated with Irans missile program.
3. (U) Action Request: Request Embassy Kyiv approach appropriate Ukrainian government officials to deliver talking points in paragraph 4 below and report response. Talking points also may be provided as a non-paper.
4. (SECRET//REL UKRAINE) BEGIN TALKING POINTS/NON- PAPER:
-- We would like to alert you to a matter of proliferation concern and request your assistance in investigating this activity.
-- We have information from early 2009 indicating that Irans Malek-Ashtar University of Technology (MUT), as in years past, is continuing to sponsor international scientists, including from Ukraine, to provide training in Iran.
-- Malek-Ashtar University of Technology is subordinate to Irans Ministry of Defense and Armed Forces Logistics (MODAFL), and provides instruction to representatives of Irans Defense Industries Organization as well as the Aerospace Industries Organization.
-- DIO is sanctioned under United Nations Security Council Resolution 1737 for its involvement in Irans nuclear program.
-- AIO is the entity with overall authority over Irans missile program, including the ballistic missile entities SBIG and SHIG - both of which are sanctioned by UNSCR 1737.
-- Malek-Ashtar University of Technology previously has received training in the subject of integrated navigational systems from Ukrainian entities, including those from Kiev Polytechnical Institute.
-- Integrated navigational systems can be used in the guidance and control of ballistic missiles, cruise missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles.
-- We are providing this information to inform your export control process and strongly urge you to take measures to ensure that Ukrainian individuals and institutions are not providing sensitive technology, training, and/or other support to Malek-Ashtar University of Technology or other Iranian entities affiliated with Irans missile program.
-- We would appreciate hearing of any actions your government takes in response to this information and look forward to discussing this at the upcoming Nonproliferation Working Group.
5. (U) Please contact ISN/MTRs John Paul Herrmann with any questions or follow-up related to this case